Tuesday, November 6, 2007

The Human Side of Reeds

Hi!
This is Charu, and I decided to post a poem by Rumi, the Sufi poet (1207-1273). I love his poetry because it is simple, soulful, and also makes you think about things in a new light.

If you liked Rumi's style, I definitely recommend listening to his poesy (I'm getting all fancy now) being performed- it brings more life and energy into the words.
Here it is:


A REED

A craftsman pulled a reed from the reed bed,
cut holes in it, and called it a human being.

Since then, it's been wailing a tender agony
of parting, never mentioning the skill
that gave it life as a flute.

-Jalaluddin Rumi
(Translated by Coleman Barks)

2 comments:

ENG3U Student said...

I love Rumi's work. It manages to be both simple and thought-provoking.
- Amal

ENG3U Student said...

Charu,

Simple and yet effective isn't it? I think this simplicity and effectiveness is mainly achieved through the metaphor used to open the poem: the flute as a human being. I suppose you could call it personification. I really enjoy the idea of the flute "wailing in a tender agony" because it has been removed from its "home" in the reed bed.

I'll have to read som more Rumi.

Regards,
Mr. G