Wednesday, November 7, 2007

A Local Poet

Hiya! Its Charu,
I'm starting to get the hang of blogging, and I'm lovin' all the poems you guys have posted.
Most of the poems posted are by someone who's deceased, so I thought I'd slip in a poem by a local poet whom I've had the pleasure of meeting. Her name's Angela Rawlings, and she's super cool. Her first book was titled 'Wide Slumber for lepidopterists;' a lepidoperist is someone who catches or studies insects and butterflies. The book is like the dreamscape life of a pupae that turns into a buuterfly. Here's an excerpt from it:


Pins through epidermis
a wall, a tooth
Place specimen under lamp to increase
drying time.

tsniaga tsurht rotcelloc
a#tilps# tips nehT
a moth with barbed spines
vulva, uvula

-Angela Rawlings

4 comments:

ENG3U Student said...

I like how she wrote backwards in the second stanza. It's reminiscent of the e.e cummings poetry we looked at in class.

- Amal

ENG3U Student said...

It really makes you work to get the message. I agree with Amal. I really wouldn't have gotten the poem at all if I hadn't seen her comment on the fact that the second stanza is written backwards. (Thanks, Amal)

-Angelina

ENG3U Student said...

I guess I try and read things backwards now when they don't make sense. Remember the grasshopper poem? It's fun to figure these things out, I think.

Now I want to read her book. 'Wide Slumber for lepidopterists' is a cool title, isn't it?

- Amal

ENG3U Student said...

Charu,

Angela went to my old school, York University. The book you mention by her was published at Coach House Press in Toronto. Have you ever been? I was there while Doors Open Toronto was on this past summer. It's a really great place and they have a store that sells poetry upstairs.

This poem reminds me of those dispay boxes with glass tops used to show off butterfly collections. Although, the word "tooth" really throws me off. Also "vulva" and "uvula" are near anagrams but as far as I know, neither are parts of the moth's anatomy. Do the tooth, vulva and uvula belong to the epidopterist? Tough call.

Cool poem,
Mr. G