Tuesday, November 6, 2007

The Pain of Pleasure

Hey hey hey my gentle friends of ENG2D7! i'm very excited for my first blog EVER. alright. so this is a sonnet written by moi last year for eng class. it was quite hard following every single rule in sonnet writing, (yes, EVERY rule was followed, hence the lack of sense in the poem...) but i was pretty proud of the mark i got for it, so i thought i'd share this with you :D Happy blogging!

The Pain of Pleasure

To know the warmth of love is one’s great gift
And yet we can’t feel love without a cost
When morals take a turn and make a shift
Your world will fall, and that’s when trust is lost

Your heart cries out and feelings all run free
The snake of envy bites into the soul
To suffer pain and hurt to a degree,
Until you lose the pieces of your whole

Allow yourself to fall in love once more
For if you never fall, you’ll never rise
Dig deep, reflect, and search inside your core
To feel the warmth and tenderness reprise

I’ll love with every inch of my own skin
And only then will mortal life begin
-Cathy Zuo

4 comments:

ENG3U Student said...

Hey Cathy,
I couldn't get over the line
"The snake of envy bites into the soul," I love that!
My only comment is that some of your lines (near the beg.) start to sound a little sentency.
Nonetheless, I admire that you followed all the sonnet rules- that's not an easy thing to do!
-Charu

ENG3U Student said...

This sonnet is AMAZING! :|
like...wow
- Imad

ENG3U Student said...

Cathy,

Wow, very impressive. I bet you had a lot more respect for the sonneteers after you attempted writing one yourself. They're not easy are they?

Quick. Review for the others: Petrachan or Shakespearean?

Hint: She's separated her sonnet into stanza that emphasize the answer.

ENG3U Student said...

Cathy, I remember this from last year in Mr. Pascoe's English class. You really stuck to the iambic pentameter! I like the same line Charu pointed out for the vivid imagery.

It's Shakespearean, because she has the rhyming couplet at the end.
- Amal