Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Unwritten

Hey my poetic peeps!

Seeing as no one has done what I'm about to do yet, I'll be the first. Since songwriting can be considered a form of poetry, I've chosen to post an excerpt from one of my favourite songs, and one that you have probably all heard before, Unwritten by Natasha Bedingfield. I love the lyrics, as well as the song itself (very upbeat). Plus, it has a little English-related twist. Enjoy!

UNWRITTEN
Lyrics by Natasha Bedingfield, Danielle Brisebois and Wayne Rodrigues

I am unwritten
Can’t read my mind
I’m undefined
I’m just beginning
The pen’s in my hand
Ending unplanned

Staring
At the blank page before you
Open up the dirty window
Let the sun illuminate
The words that
You cannot find
Reaching
For something in the distance
So close you can almost taste it
Release your inhibitions

Feel the rain on your skin
No one else can feel it for you
Only you can let it in
No one else, no one else
Can speak the words on your lips
Put yourself in words unspoken
Live your life with arms wide open
Today is
Where your book begins
The rest is still unwritten

~~~

~Caitlin~

2 comments:

ENG3U Student said...

OOOOh i love this song too. Its so reassuring. I like the fact that our futures are still unwritten just like i like the pages that i havent written in my journal. They're clean and untainted.

-Ielaf :)

ENG3U Student said...

Caitlin,

The chorus of this song is infectious: "Feel the rain on your skin / No one else can feel it for you / Only you can let it in / No one else, no one else". It sticks in your head. I wonder if it has anything to do with the rhyme scheme and repetition? These are things we often take for granted especially when listening to pop songs!

Regards,
Mr. G