Monday, November 12, 2007

Indianapolis/Summer/1969/Poem

Patty here! I found an interesting poem in the library today that I felt was really good. Warning though, the language is a little out there...and don't worry. Mr. G ok'd it. Feedback is loved!

Indianapolis/Summer/1969/Poem
Sonia Sanchez

Patty,

Upon reading this poem a second time I felt the need to take it down. It is a really great poem and I know I okayed it but as a prospective teacher I feel it would be better that your classmates experience the poem via the library as you did (I've left the title and author above), and not here on this blog that I am technically in charge of monitoring. Just covering my own ass bottom.

like.
i mean.
don’t it all come down
to pro/fes/sion/al/is/m.

Sincerely,
Mr. G

4 comments:

ENG3U Student said...

wow patty. this poem is VERY suggestive. and wow mr.G for ok'ing it.
aside from the questionable language in this LEARNING ENVIRONMENT FULL OF YOUNG DEVELOPING MINDS (jks), i think this poems does carry a strong message. and i think the language used really emphasizes that message. i also find it refreshing to read this poem because it is such a change from the poems you usually see people write. so many people try to sound "smart" and "philosophical". but i just realized that this poem, using the language that it did, really got me thinking more than other "smart sounding" poems. nice choice patty.
-cathy

ENG3U Student said...

Hey, Patty! I think the use of slang made it seem like a casual conversation. The very last line, especially, reminds me of times when I try to add on to what I've already said, but draw blank. The speaker says what she means without trying to be sophisticated. Although the poem is very angry, the end is a hopeful one: "then may / be it wud all
come down to some / thing else / like RE VO LU TION. i mean if. / like. yeh."
- Amal

ENG3U Student said...

haha, mr.G. love your mini parody.
-cathy

ENG3U Student said...

HaHa!
It's ok Mr. G
I can totally dig that!
And I'm loving your parody!

Patty