Tuesday, November 13, 2007

No To War

Heres a poem inspired by peace and war. It tell the story of a grandfather revealing the scars of war left on him to his grandson

NO TO WAR - Rahul Sharma
SIT DOWN, he said,
I’VE GOT SOMETHING TO SHOW YOU.
As he lifted his head,
He pushed up his sleeve revealing a tattoo.

WHAT’S THAT, I asked
WHEN DID YOU GET IT?
His emotions were masked,
My feelings legit.

He began to tell a story.
Of pain, of suffering, of war.
I sat, I listened too his glory.
His pains were just too hard to ignore.

He told me how he went to war,
At the age of eighteen.
He told me men came to his door,
And how he had to serve his holy Queen.

I WENT AND FOUGHT,
I listened in shame.
TOO KILL, IS WHAT I WAS TAUGHT
Enraged he became.

I DID KILL,
He now was crying.
THE DEATHS, THEY TAUNT ME STILL.
His heart was dying.

READ MY WRIST,
I did just that.
How could they exist,
These scars of combat?

It read:
No to war,
For it is murder.
I wear this scar
Below my shoulder
Remind me of the blood
And the horror
That I have caused in the name of peace


I realized then,
The moral of his vow.
War was then,
Let peace by now.

1 comment:

ENG3U Student said...

Rahul,

I am glad that you decided to try and write a poem using some dialogue. You've done it almost perfectly: it is neither verbose nor clipped. Were you inspired by the Wole Soyinka poem, "Telephone Conversation" that I read in class yesterday? You've certainly mimicked his technique off differentiating speakers via capital letters and lowercase letters.

One small thing. I believe you made a typo near the end with the line "War was then,/
Let peace by now". I believe you meant it to read "War was then/ Let peace be now".

Well done,
Mr. G