Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Mother and I, Walking

Hello Everyone !
Initially, I was turned of this poem after reading the first few lines , but I think it gets better towards the end. It also seems appropriate, since winter is at our doorstep, bringing long, cold nights. Thanks - Alisha


Father is gone again,
the streets empty.
Everyone is inside,
listening to radios
in the warm glow of their stoves.

The cold cries under our boots.
We wade through wind. It pushes
snow under my scarf and collar,
up the sleeves of my jacket.

Mother opens her old muskrat coat,
pulls me inside.
Her scent wraps around me.
The back of my head presses
into the warm rise of her belly

When I lower my eyes, I see
our feet, mine between hers,
the tracks of one animal
crossing the open,
strange and nocturnal,
moving towards home.

- Lorna Crozier

2 comments:

ENG3U Student said...

I think I can relate even more to this after today, what with the snow and all. I like how the combination of their footprints was said to be like a strange and nocturnal animal. It shows the closeness of mother and daughter. I wonder why the father is gone again...
- Amal

ENG3U Student said...

Alisha,

For such cold subject matter this poem actually ends up being quite heart-warming.

Amal,

Your comments are getting better and better. Very impressive.

Regards,
Mr. G