Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Sick by Shel Silverstein

This poem by Shel Silverstein is simple and kinda cute. I can surely picture myself at Peggy's age doing what she is trying to fake sick and skip school. I really hope you guys enjoy it!

~SoUnDaRya SeLvAm

*****
"I cannot go to school today,"
Said little Peggy Ann McKay,
"I have the measles and the mumps,
A gash, a rash, and purple bumps.
My mouth is wet, my throat is dry,
I'm going blind in my right eye.
My tonsils are as big as rocks,
I've counted sixteen chicken pox
And there's one more--that's seventeen,
And don't you think my face looks green?
My leg is cut, my eyes are blue--
It might be instamatic flu.
I cough and sneeze and gasp and choke,
I'm sure that my left leg is broke--
My hip hurts when I move my chin,
My belly button's caving in,
My back is wrenched, my ankle's sprained,
My 'pendix pains each time it rains.
My nose is cold, my toes are numb,
I have a sliver in my thumb.
My neck is stiff, my voice is weak,
I hardly whisper when I speak.
My tongue is filling up my mouth,
I think my hair is falling out.
My elbow's bent, my spine ain't straight,
My temperature is one-o-eight.
My brain is shrunk, I cannot hear,
There is a hole inside my ear.
I have a hangnail, and my heart is--what?
What's that? What's that you say?
You say today is---Saturday?
G'bye, I'm going out to play!"

*****

6 comments:

ENG3U Student said...

HaHa...this poem is pretty awsome..one can really relate to it. All the times I've tried faking sick so that I can get out of school and stay home instead.

ENG3U Student said...

Oh...that was Patty (me) btw

ENG3U Student said...

I have this in a book of school-related poems that I got a school book fair who knows how long ago. I still like it, though.
- Amal

ENG3U Student said...

I once had to do a dramatization of this poem in class. Ugh...But the poem's cute, now that that's over. I'm with Patty: What kid hasn't done this before?

~~~

~Caitlin~

ENG3U Student said...

hey soundarya!
that's my favourite poem by Silverstein. i just luv the poet's sense of humour. btw, thanx for posting this poem!
Bagavathy :D

ENG3U Student said...

Soundarya,

Silverstein is great. There aren't many poets who manage to write poetry that both children, young adults and adults can enjoy.

Where might you say the "turn" occurs in this piece?

Regards,
Mr. G